The Real Truth About GMOs
* Genetically-modified organisms are often labeled as GM (genetically-modified), GE (genetically-engineered), or GMO.
* GMOs are injected with cells from other living organisms or chemicals such as bacillus theringensus (organic pesticide) and glyphosate (active ingredient in the Roundup herbicide).
* This combination of foreign DNA into one organism creates an endless number of unexpected reactions in nature. For example, GM plants can act as a pesticide themselves or produce toxic-qualities much like a pesticide.
* The Flavr Savr Tomato was the first GM crop grown in 1994. It was a failure by the end of 1996.
* GMOs are linked directly to SDS (sudden-death syndrome), high-infertility and abortion rates in livestock.
* Three consecutive generations of mammals fed solely on a GM diet, are unable to produce another generation. They become sterile and/or barren.
* GMO crops will not outperform indigenous crops grown in the same conditions.
* GMO crops reduce soil life and vitality due to necessary use of excessive herbicides.
* Long-term effects on humans are relatively unknown as we are all guinea pigs of this scientific experiment.
* U.S. Crops that are currently GM include:
Corn – 88% Cotton – 90%
Canola – 85% Soybeans – 94%
Hawaiian Papaya – 50%
(totaling more than 100 million acres)
* There are also small amounts of GM sugar beets, sugar cane, rice, potatoes, tobacco, sweet peppers, zucchini, and summer squash…that are known.
* In 2011, the U.S. Supreme Court approved of the deregulation of GM alfalfa. This law knocked down the door, allowing the pursuit of any and all crops to be genetically-modified. There are 21 million acres of alfalfa in the U.S.
* More than 30 countries have banned GMOs, including most European countries, Ireland, Japan, and many others.
* Food companies such as Kraft and Kellogg’s do not put GM ingredients in their food products in those countries, but they do in the United States.
* GM wheat, grapes, and grass are currently in advanced research stages.
* GM salmon has also been produced. These mutated salmon have proven to be overly aggressive, killing native or natural salmon.
* There are also more than 50 different GM tree plots growing in forests across several southeastern states.
* The excessive use of Roundup (or glyphosate), which is needed with GMO crops, has been known to prevent the plant from accessing key nutrients. This creates a nutrient-starved plant, which has little to zero nutrition when consumed by other creatures.
* GMO crops and excessive chemical use is believed to be directly linked to CCD (colony collapse disorder) in our honeybee population.
* Superweeds have developed here in the United States as a result of excessive Roundup use on fields. Weeds mutate, developing a resistance to the herbicide.
* Monsanto no longer makes the Bollguard I seed variety due to the fact bollworms have developed a resistance to the seed’s pesticide gene.
* GM companies such as Monsanto, Bayer Crop Science, DuPont, Dow Chemical, and Syngenta dominate agriculture and generate more than $30 billion in profits each year from seed and chemical sales.